In such a short space I can only give you the bare essentials of who Jesus is ...
- Jesus was a man who was born, lived an died about 2000 years ago. There is little dispute about this.
- Some people see Jesus as a wise man and value his teaching.
- Some people believe him to be a messenger from God.
Followers of Jesus (Christians) believe he is all of the above, yet their beliefs go on ..
- Jesus is the Son of God.
- His death was 'for you', so that you could be forgiven by God. We've all done wrong and this hurts God and often others too. A just and fair God can punish those who do wrong, but Jesus has paid the price of our wrong doing. This enables us to come back into a restored relationship with God, as if we had done nothing wrong.
- His death was not the end. He rose and returned to be with His Father - God. Jesus also offers those who accept his offer, a future beyond the grave, with God, too.
'For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.'
(The words of Jesus as recorded in John 3:16 [NIV])